Monday, May 20, 2013

Politics in the Park

Is there any better way to announce a campaign than to gather all of your friends and supporters at a beautiful city park on a beautiful spring evening?  The temperatures soared this week well into the 90s and it was sunshine and warm weather all week long.  I planned ice cream for the whole family so the kids wouldn't get too bored while I talked city politics with their parents.  It would have been perfect, except for one thing:  I forgot that this is spring in Utah and Mother Nature is in charge.  I was blustery all day and the clouds hung heavy in the sky, threatening rain.  Somehow my husband, Dave managed to put streamers up around the pavilion, but I don't think there is enough tape in the world to get the tablecloths to withstand the wind.  And it was absolutely freezing!  Had I not lived in Utah most of my life, I would never believe we could have such a cold day after such a warm week.  Surely no one would come in this weather.  But I was wrong, and come they did!  I never made a final count, but the pavilion was pretty full of friends and supporters, coming to hear me speak about city politics and to show their support.  It was amazing!  We had a few out-of-towners like my mom, my friend Fiona, and County Commissioner John Petroff.  Dave's brother even came down from Idaho!  But, it was mostly people from Clinton who love their city every bit as much as I do who came to show me support as I

 work to make Clinton a better place both now and in the future.  And somehow, I think the nasty weather made the evening that much more meaningful.  We will likely have storms ahead, but we are citizens of Clinton and we will pull together rain, shine, or freezing wind!

1 comment:

  1. I'm still bummed my week was so crazy that I missed this. I've always got things going, but it was over the top. So excited to support you, though! I'll be spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete